Donate to Real Hearings
People sometimes ask me if taking action through Real Hearings campaigns has any effect. Is it really worth the time and effort? I have the privilege of seeing many of the responses from proponents and our elected officials to your comments, so I see first hand the impact that your efforts have.
For example, just last week BC Hydro confirmed that your appeal to protect Watson Slough was not in vain:
In the space of a week almost 600 people used our new commenting system to tell their MLA and BC Hydro that the planned logging of Watson Slough should be halted. Bowing to public pressure, BC Hydro has decided to delay the clearing until years in the future. Those letters are posted here, along with many others, as a matter of public record. As these results show, this system works — and your effort does make a difference.
Now we want to ramp up our work in April to make your concerns known to candidates during the provincial election. Can you help make that happen?
We Need Your Help
The general election is coming in May of this year and we have big plans to deliver your concerns to candidates in ridings across British Columbia.
Real Hearings is a small, volunteer led group, and through our work we’ve helped campaigns all across this province, ranging from coal exports in Metro Vancouver to Site C Dam in NE BC.
Development of commenting tools is almost entirely self-funded, but the key work of hiring expert coders and web developers is expensive. If you find the services we provide useful can you help us develop even more powerful tools?
In recent months we have funded the following improvements:
- added MLA and MP lookups to our commenting options
- added encryption to all Real Hearings websites
- protected our data with a dedicated Salesforce CRM solution
- boosted the resources of system to handle huge numbers of comments
- accelerated all sites to make your experience better and faster
- implemented agile development processes to stay on top of improvements
Can you help us take this to the next level?
If we raise $150 we can hire an expert coder for one hour.
- $500 pays for SSL certificates across our websites for 1 year
- $1000 allows us to implement physical mailing of your letters to MPs in Ottawa and attach printable PDFs of your comments throughout our system
- $1000 buys 1 year of web hosting for our dedicated private server.
- $5000 enables us to design Real Hearings campaign templates for fast and low cost implementation. This will help poorly resourced community groups get noticed fast!
- $50000 helps us create the dream. Any important cause can easily build their transparent public engagement solution and deploy powerful, continually evolving tools
Thanks for your support!
Founder of Real Hearings